Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Luxe Series




Just finished reading Splendor-- the fourth and final book in The Luxe series by Anna Godbersen. I was introduced to the series by my sister, Susan, and, initially, I thought I was too old to read it-- The Luxe series can be found under teen fiction in your local bookseller. Susie sold me on reading it when we went to the mountains for a week, and I figured I'd have nothing better to do. To my surprise I was hooked.

The books are right up there with my other guilty teen drama pleasure, Gossip Girl. Critics often pen the series as a Gossip Girl of the 19th century. It is all etiquette, elegance and Upper East Side, and that was good enough for me. The characters are well-developed and the stories keep you wanting more. I could even see myself and my sister in the Holland sisters (two sister starlets of The Luxe).

All in all, if you are looking for a girly, semi-mindless read, with some decent historical, period references, you will enjoy The Luxe. This is perfect for those of you suffering as I am through the break in new Gossip Girl episodes.

(Also, they are a quick read. I have read four books only one month into 2010!!)

0 comments: